The World Atmosphere Day is observed worldwide on 10th April every year. The atmosphere is the quilt of gases that surrounds the Earth. The earth's atmosphere consists of around 78% nitrogen, 21%oxygen, 0.9%argon, and 0.1%other gases like carbon dioxide, methane, water vapour, etc.
The atmosphere of the earth carries water in three forms i.e., solid, liquid, and gas. All three elements play a major role in survival on this planet. Our atmosphere acts as a shield that protects the earth's surface from extreme heat, detrimental radiations, and most space debris that passes the atmosphere. Gravity plays a major role as it holds the atmosphere around the earth and keeps it from drifting into space.
It is very necessary to protect our atmosphere because it safeguards us from the sun's most harmful rays i.e., Ultraviolet Rays. It is a layer of protection that helps human beings survive. This layer also helps in protecting from small flying objects such as meteoroids that might hit the earth. It also protects us from the vacuum of space.
10 simple methods to protect our atmosphere
1. Educate yourself more about atmosphere so that you can educate others about the same.
2. Conserve water.
3. Buy a fewer plastic bag and get a reusable shopping bag.
4. Drive less and make more usage of bicycle.
5. Use energy-efficient light bulbs so that it helps in the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
6. Step forward to make the surrounding clean.
7. Plant more trees.
8. Follow the three R's namely Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.
9. Stop using non-toxic chemicals.
10. Save natural resources.
This atmosphere day, let's pledge to make a few modifications in our lifestyle and help protect the atmosphere.
Written by: Harshita Sinha