The Novel Coronavirus pandemic has made our lives difficult but has simultaneously helped us in tracing back our roots. It’s showed us that earthly pleasures are mere ‘good-to-have’ things, and that good health, food, family, and shelter are all we need to live. When we talk about tracing back to our roots, Indian households are bound to remember haldi or Turmeric.
Turmeric is almost like a magic potion that boosts our immunity – something that we’re in dire need of, to fight the COVID-19 virus.
It’s one of the oldest medicinal spices of India and an integral part of our grandmother’s box of home-made spices, or a globally acclaimed chef’s kitchen. This one spice has made its way into most of the Asian cuisines.
In India, we use Haldi in so many ways! We add it as a powdered spice in our food, as a beauty measure in our home-made cosmetics, or even as a paste on our wounds. All of this is because of its impeccable health benefits.
Let us take you through some of them!
1. Turmeric is an immunity booster. It cures conjunctivitis, urinary tract infections, chickenpox, and other stomach ailments.
2. The essential oils extracted from turmeric fight against respiratory tract viruses which cause flu. For the same reason, regular consumption of turmeric has been prescribed by the health authorities in an initiative to prevent the COVID-19 infection.
3. Turmeric paste has wonderful effects on wounds. Its anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory. And anti-bacterial compounds help in fast healing. The topical application of turmeric also prevents skin tumours.
4. Curcumin is an active polyphenol and the most abundant compound present in turmeric. It is responsible for the bright yellow colour of the root. This compound is one of the major agents that accelerates the healing process in us. Studies have revealed that the absorption of curcumin in the human body increases with pepper.
5. Being an anti-oxidant, the curcumin present in turmeric boosts our body’s antioxidant capacity. This leads to blood purification, better glowing skin, and enhanced metabolism by removing harmful toxins from the body.
6. The National Cancer Institute has identified curcumin as an effective anticarcinogen. Anticarcinogens help prevent cancer.
7. The extract of turmeric act against several pathogenic microbes. This includes the common gastric-ulcer causing microbe called Helicobacter pylori.
8. Turmeric helps patients with respiratory problems. It helps remove sputum, prevent asthma, and gives relief from cough.
9. Diabetic patients are highly benefitted from turmeric because it reduces the cell-damaging effects of chronic hyperglycaemia.
10. Turmeric prepares the body’s immunity system to support us in all stages – protection, prevention, and cure from infections and ailments.
These are not the only health benefits of Turmeric, but some of the best ones. A medicinal plant as potent as Turmeric is a sure blessing on Mother Nature on humankind. With the pandemic raging around us, treat it as a necessity to take turmeric daily and up your immunity standards.
Besides taking Haldi or Turmeric as a spice in food, there’s another interesting & very healthy way of having it – as Turmeric Tea.
How to make Turmeric Tea? It’s easy
1. Boil 3 or 4 cups of water
2. Add 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder and stir well
3. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes
4. Add freshly squeezed lemon or orange juice, honey, and milk to taste
Your hot and tasty cup of immunity booster is now ready to serve!
Hope that helps you understand how consuming turmeric can be a defining factor for your and your family’s well-being in the coming days.
Most importantly, eat healthily, stay safe, and stay indoor!
We’re not far from winning this war against the pandemic.